External Document No field in the purchase document is used to register vendor invoice number. This information is also saved in the Vendor Ledger Entries when the purchase document is posted. It is therefore expected also to be shown in the two reports "Vendor Open Entries" and "Vendor Detail Trial Balance"
- Create a Purchase Order or Purchase Invoice for one vendor.
Ensure to enter value on the field Vendor Invoice No.
- Post the Purchase Order or Purchase Invoice.
- Open the Vendor card and select that vendor that was used in the
Purchase Order or Purchase Invoice.
- Open the Ledger Entries and look for that purchase that was posted.
You will see that the External Document No. is also saved
(the vendor invoice no. entered on the first step).
- Close the ledger entries and vendor card.
- Generate the report Vendor Open Entries. You will notice that the
External Document No. is NOT shown per entry.
- Generate the report Vendor Detail Trial Balance. You will notice that
the External Document No. is NOT shown per entry.
It was found out that when reconciling paid payables or when analyzing outstanding payables, Accountants use the vendor invoice no. as reference. (esp. for exact application of payment). But due to this missing information in these two reports, Accountants are struggling with matching the payments to the exact invoices.
Accountants therefore believe that this information “External Document No.” or Vendor Invoice No. should be part of standard reports in Navision.