Transaction-based financial dimension:
There was an easy-to-implement possibility to largely improve GL reporting and analysis capabilities by extending the ledger integration by financial dimensions.
In several setups, a posting integration is defined by ledger account defined in the posting profiles and some additional set-up tables (i.e. item postings, resources postings, fixed asset postings, indirect cost postings, project postings, bank postings, customer/vendor postings, automatic postings, etc.).
The idea is to add financial dimensions to the main account entries. The filled dimension depends on the posting type / transaction type and brings all types of transactions together (cross-module) and hence makes it easier to run reports on GL postings on general level.
1. Quite easy to implement since the framework is already there.
2. Separation of quantity values from transaction values in the GL - more transparancy
3. Enables cash-flow statement according to the direct method as required in financial reporting of many groups of companies
4. Enables standard reports (tax development, provision development, cash development, fixed asset balances, inventory changes) or makes it easier to create from GL (using financial reporting)
5. Reduces number of required GL accounts
This kind of "movement" or "flow" analysis is almost always required by customers but so far hardly supported by D365. The extension brings big improvements by low effort.